In our previous articles, we gave you some tips for creating your app’s app design, but we did not talk about the app design for Apple Watch apps. It is time to look into this subject.
But before talking about the app design adapted to the Apple Watch, let’s see how this gadget works …
Type. This movement, as we well know, is equivalent to a click.
Slide. In addition to sliding the screen, this movement allows the Apple Watch to access the options.
Support. That is, tap the screen once and keep your finger pressed.
Wrist movements. You lift your wrist to see the notifications or unlock the device. By lowering the wrist, it can be locked.
Some elements of the design app to consider
Let’s start with the most important: notifications. An average Apple Watch user sees several per day. These are very similar to those of the iPhone. We can interact with them and configure them.
There are two types of notifications. The first are the ones we see summed up at a glance, also called short look. They are short and simple. There are also longer notifications or long look that give more details. It is possible to scroll the screen to see the integrity.
We also find the Glance feature that allows the user to see live three statistics on the screen of the watch during activities. Glances are similar to Android widgets and can be disabled at any time. If you touch them, they open the application that sent them.
Remember that to provide a good user experience, it is imperative to simplify the navigation within your application. This can be organized in two ways:
Sequential navigation. You have to enter an element to explore its lower levels. For example, you can enter a folder that contains folders that, in turn, contain documents …
Paginated navigation. All elements are at the same hierarchical level, as images of a single coil.
Finally, speaking of the app design, it is impossible to ignore the typography that has undergone a significant change in the arrival of the Apple Watch. The Helvetica font, long used by Apple for its devices, has been replaced by the new San Francisco, which has the merit of improving readability.
successful app design of an Apple Watch app:
1. The design of the icon. Keep in mind that applications with a good icon generate more downloads. The icon should be similar to the one you’re using for the iPhone and iPad app, but make it even simpler. On the small screen of the watch, the user will not notice any details. The trend is also to make circular icons.
2. The color. The colors should be very clear. The details will not show on the small screen of the watch, so emphasize the contrast as much as possible to improve readability.
3. The user interface (UI). Put everything into simplicity, even if it means limiting the possibilities of the application. An application designed for the iPhone will not be the same in its Apple Watch version. Sometimes the adaptation to the Apple Watch of a product that works perfectly under the iPhone does not make sense. For example, a text editing application will not be very useful because the user will probably not want to write content on their watch. It should be kept in mind that in general a user interaction with the watch does not exceed 30 seconds.
4. The context. An application for the well-designed Apple Watch adapts to the context of the user. What does that mean? The application, for example, makes use of notifications when the user needs them. If you take a picture of your car in a parking lot to remind you of the location, the application will automatically send you that photo when you get back in the parking lot. It is true that such an application is more complex and therefore more expensive, but thanks to its usefulness it can retain more users.
5. Speed. Slowness is the primary reason for uninstalling apps. It is better a basic application, with a simple design, an application too slow. Also, make sure your development team is quickly addressing all the issues and errors found in the app. Finally, if your application contains a feature that nobody uses, consider removing it.